Monday, December 16, 2013

My Own Hobbit Adventure



While I haven't been able to take part in the opening weekend crowds flocking to see The Desolation of Smaug, my envy ceases to exist considering my adventures earlier this year which led me into Hobbiton. I knew in the couple weeks I was spending in the north island of New Zealand, this hobbit wonderland would not be left out. As you would expect with any mythical creatures, the set for The Shire is hidden among the many rolling hills of sheep farms in New Zealand. A location Peter Jackson meticulously scouted out by literally flying all over country to find and, after filming the Lord of the Rings series, left open for the public to tour.




Instead of feeling like I was on a set, it felt as if we were being guided around the abandoned grounds of some former civilization. The attention to detail was that immaculate. 




At the end of the tour, I even got to share a drink at the Green Dragon Inn among other foreigners to the land. It is a pity this pub is only available to tours, and located in the middle of nowhere, because I would not mind being a regular here. In fact I would not mind living the hobbit life in general.  Often when I travel I envision myself living in the destination, determining whether I'd like it or not. I'll admit, Hobbiton is high-up on the list of potentials. 


I think I'd fit in quite well. 

Cheers! 

01 09 10