Monday, November 25, 2013

One Weekend, Seven Kids




Well, it happened. Snow fell and reminded me Christmas is only a month away. This year I have some bigger, more creative plans for my gift-giving. That plan involves several projects revolving around photographs of my nieces and nephews, aaalllllll seven of them.


But instead of taking the easy way out by using photos already taken throughout the year, I decided to do the impossible and have one big photo shoot. I scavenged Goodwill, Salvation Army and Target for props and the best baggy cloths that would blend in with our dried-up farm backyard. Can we make shabby-farmer-chic a thing? Or is that just Seattle?






I must admit, one of the best parts of being back home is having seven of the cutest photo subjects at my disposal. Though there was constant yelling, whining and running away, they toughed out the near freezing temps in minimal layers. All you have to do is shove a croquet club in their hand or let them "drive" the tractor and they suddenly forget their entire body is numb. Magic. 

While I never would recommend someone ever  taking on a project like this, it is worth it to freeze (pun not intended) how close these bunch of cousins are before they get too big. After all, one of the best parts about kids is seeing how cute they are without having to hear them. Which is why I love photographing them and then running away across the world. I jest...kind of.





Photographing kids, even just a few, can be a daunting task. The prep for this shoot was insane! While I have no idea where to begin on guiding you to take your own photo shoot, National Geographic has a great article, that you can click on here, chuck-full of really amazing advice! Happy holiday shooting!



01 09 10