Monday, August 5, 2013

#BerryFine



Gooseberries, blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries
and only the most helpful signs to help you along the way.
That's Bayfield. 


I set out this morning, after catching up on Game of Thrones and Roller Coaster Tycoon naturally, to take advantage of living in the berry capital of Wisconsin. Being the most anticipated, my first stop was to pick cherries. I think I was one of the first that morning because I hit a jackpot and picked a good five pounds of cherries off a single tree. That tree and I shared a moment.
 A very delicious moment.

I figured those cherries, all five pounds of them, would be lonely in my fridge. 
I heard they enjoyed the company of raspberries and blueberries so I set out to Blue Vista Farm. They were busier and more picked over, but the view over the rolling hills in the mist with their old, renovated barn along blooming gardens was good enough for me. 

 My last stop was to expand my taste palate in the way of berries. 
Good Earth Farms offers the lesser heard of gooseberries, currants and juneberries. While juneberries were definitely the tastiest, their time was nearly up this summer season so I had my pick of currants and gooseberries. Neither of which are really that great, but I was already there and picking 99 cents worth of gooseberries seemed to satisfy my desires. 

I figured they'd be good for something, like baking or whatnot. I dunno.
Turns out not even the internet has much idea of what to do with those damn berries. 
I should have taken it as a sign when I only saw two bushes to pick from.
oh well
I'll just have to get creative as I'm making myself five pounds heavier with cherries.
Now, if you don't mind, I have some fresh-picked berries to attend to.

Cheers!



(the strawberries in this post were actually picked nearly a month ago. I just though they seemed fitting.)


01 09 10